Cambrooks College English Language Proficiency Policy
Proof of English language proficiency may be required from candidates whose first language is not English.
Definition of first language: This is the language you learned in your home as a child.
- If your first language is English, you are not required to provide proof of ELP. Instead, you must show evidence of passing Grade 12 English (or an equivalent course) at credit level.
- If you have successfully completed four or more years of full-time study achieving satisfactory academic progress in a Canadian school, you are not required to provide proof of English facility. Instead, you must show evidence of passing Grade 12 English (or an equivalent course).
- If you have less than four years of full-time study in a Canadian school, you must present proof of English facility.
- If your first language is other than English, and you have successfully completed four years or more in a country where the dominant language is English, you are not required to provide proof of ELP. Instead, you must show evidence of having passed Grade 12 English
- If you have less than four years in a country where the dominant language is English, you must present evidence of ELP.
The following are acceptable standardized tests and required benchmarks for meeting the English Language Proficiency requirements.
|Test||Required Score for Diploma Programs||Required Score for Certificate Programs|
|Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)||80||70|
|International English Language Testing System (IELTS)||5.5||5|
|Wonderlic Basic Skills Test (WBST)||70%||60%|
|English for Academic Purposes (EAP)||B||B|
|Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB)||7-8||7|
- English Language Proficiency tests cannot be more than two years old.
- Applicants who are from the following countries are exempt from having to send proof of English Language Proficiency
|American Samoa||Falkland Islands||Mauritius||St. Kitts|
|Antigua||Ghana||New Zealand||St. Vincent|
|Australia||Gibraltar||Nigeria||Trinidad and Tobago|
|Bahamas||Grenada||Northern Ireland||Turks and Caicos|
|Belize||Guyana||Panama Canal Zone||United Kingdom|
|Botswana||Ireland (Republic of Eire)||Ryukyu Islands||USA|
- If an applicant is in Calgary, he or she will be required to take the Wonderlic Basic Skills Test (WBST), and must score a minimum of 60% in order to qualify for admission.